Things to Do in Elkhart Lake, WI
Elkhart Lake is unique in that it is truly a year-round destination. Whether you visit The Osthoff Resort in spring, summer, fall, or at Christmastime, we offer a variety of resort activities for guests of all ages. And, if you want to venture out during your stay, you’ll find lots to do off-property as well. Check out some of our recommendations below and be sure to add these Elkhart Lake activities to your vacation itinerary.
Our Favorite Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, Things to Do
For History Buffs
Get to know the history of Lake Elkhart and Sheboygan County during your stay. These museums and historic sites are great for rainy day outings with the family and offer a fascinating glimpse into our region’s past.
Henschel’s Indian Museum
Did you know that native Indians first settled on the shores of Elkhart Lake over 10,000 years ago? They had reverence for this land and held special ritual celebrations here. Today, Henschel’s Indian Museum is located on an archeological dig site and features a collection of Native American copper, pottery, and other artifacts dating back to 8,000 B.C.
Sheboygan County Historical Museum
The mission of this museum complex is to preserve the history of Sheboygan County. It’s home to the Weinhold Family Homestead, a barn with rural agricultural displays, the Bodenstab Cheese Factory, and more. You’ll also find changing exhibits on Indian history, ice harvesting, maritime, circus, and local sports.
Kohler Design Center
If you’ve ever walked through the kitchen or bath section of a home improvement store, you know the brand Kohler. At their Design Center, a video presentation, art gallery, and museum provide a glimpse into the rich heritage of the company. The center also features a collection of innovative Kohler Co. products and decorating ideas.
Elkhart Lake has a vibrant art scene that includes everything from fine art to theatre. During your vacation, treat your spouse to dinner and a show, bring the kids to an outdoor installation, or peruse a local gallery on your own.
- Abler Art Glass Gallery: A contemporary gallery of creative glass concepts by more than 60 artists. You’ll want to check out the glass blowing studio, too.
- Plymouth Art Center: The largest non-profit arts organization in Western Sheboygan County. Take a class, attend an event, or browse the fine art gallery.
- Two Fish Gallery: Set in a bungalow and garden, Two Fish features arts and crafts in all mediums by 50 regional and national artists.
- Victorian Village Theater: Enjoy musicals, original plays, children’s theatre, and dinner theatre in this 100-year-old resort theater.
- John Michael Kohler Arts Center: JMKAC features exhibitions of contemporary art in all mediums as well as an ongoing schedule of performing arts.
- Bookworm Gardens: This vibrant, playful garden inspired by children’s literature offers free, unstructured play in a beautiful and secure environment.
For Thrill Seekers
Ready to get your adrenaline pumping? Head to one of the racetracks near Elkhart Lake for a night you’ll never forget. The Midwest loves motorsports, and after experiencing a taste of the excitement in person, we know you will, too.
- Road America Racetrack: Road America is North America’s longest natural road racing facility and holds professional and amateur events from April through October.
- Plymouth Dirt Track Racing: Attend a special event at PDTR and enjoy great food, great racing, and family-friendly programs.
Come Home to The Osthoff Resort
After a fun day exploring with family and friends, return to The Osthoff where you can relax. Our resort is the perfect home base during your Lake Elkhart vacation. We have luxurious accommodations, plenty of onsite amenities, and a convenient location near the best things to do in Elkhart Lake. Plus, when you stay with us, you can choose from our one-, two-, and three-bedroom suites with either woodland views or lake views.