Ask anyone who’s vacationed at The Osthoff Resort in Elkhart Lake, Wis., what their favorite tradition is, and they’re bound to rattle off an entire list with ease rather than just stopping at one. The resort staff compiled a bucket list of 25 seasonal things vacationers should do at least once!
- Sit in a rocking chair on the upper patio with a cup of coffee in hand and soak in the panoramic views to the gardens, grounds, pond and lake.
- Enjoy a breathtaking view of the area’s fall foliage on a 60-foot observation tower overlooking the Kettle Moraine State Forest – The Parnell Tower.
- Enjoy the big game or a fun, casual lunch or dinner at the newly re-designed Concourse Restaurant & Lounge.
- Have a Sacred Waters Massage and an Elderberry Facial, both signature treatments at the resort’s Aspira Spa.
- Order flowers to your suite from the in-house floral department, Osthoff in Bloom.
- Bring your family for a holiday weekend getaway in December! Indulge in a Winter Wonderland Brunch with Santa and real live reindeer, and help the littles ones create unique ornaments and decorate cookies.
- Step back into the ice age and enjoy a spectacular snowshoe hike on the nearby Ice Age Trail.
- Ice skate on the reflection pond, then warm up with a splash in the indoor pool.
- Snap a selfie with the large elk mount in the lobby level Elk Room before you pull up a chair in front of the roaring fire in the massive fireplace to bask in the vacation moment.
- Hop on a horse-drawn wagon ride throughout the beautiful and quaint community of Elkhart Lake.
- Head over to Concourse Restaurant for a few relaxing evenings listening to the acoustic stylings of The Abler Boys; the day after Thanksgiving, New Year’s Eve and Schnee Days.
- Before heading into Otto’s Restaurant for Sunday breakfast, find the photo of Otto Osthoff just outside the restaurant. He’s the founder of the original Osthoff Hotel that opened in 1886 on the very same spot. Then take a stroll along the hallway to see lots of historic photos of the hotel, road races through Elkhart Lake, and performances by the summer drama camp of days gone by.
- Follow that with a stroll around the pond to find the handprints in cement from the original drama camp.
- Do a little grilling on the lakefront, with grills dotting the lower grounds near the water’s edge.
- Rally your fellow vacationers for a game of volleyball on the lawn.
- Dust off the tennis rackets and head to the tennis court.
- Have a little friendly competition with your friends or family in a sandcastle-building contest.
- Rent a fishing boat from the Resort to go fishing for bass in the deep waters of the lake.
- Grown-ups, kick off your summer vacation with a frozen concoction at the Lake Deck bar near the beach.
- Spread a blanket on the lawn for the July 4th weekend fireworks display over the lake.
- Hop aboard the morning coffee cruise and learn about the geology and history of the area.
- Try standup paddleboarding or kayaking, with rentals provided by the resort.
- Let the kids order their favorite slushies or ice cream from the beach concession stand.
- Eat a s’more at the complimentary evening bonfire – every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
- Dance to live music at the Lake Deck – every Thursday through Sunday.